Pages

Friday 6 July 2012

Back in Oz


I’ve been back in Australia for two weeks now and in many ways it feels like I never left. I flew in to Perth this time and am staying with the same family who looked after me so well on my last few stays here. It’s a lot colder than I remember it being since they’re in to their winter now but it’s still warmer and drier than home so I’m not complaining. During the day when the sun is out it’s been around 20 degrees C recently but the nights are still pretty cold, getting down to 2-4 degrees C. I ventured out without my jacket one day and was very thankful that the folks we met for dinner brought along a jacket I could borrow otherwise I would not have enjoyed my evening stroll round Fremantle as much.

There are a few noticeable differences this time round. The main one is of course the fact I have company in the form of Josh’s sister. It’s nice to have someone to chat to and explore with. We’ve spent a lot of time relaxing at home but we have made it in to Fremantle a few times. Once we went in for a few drinks with  a friend then another sunny day we had lunch and explored the jail before meeting our afore mentions friends with the jacket for dinner. Another difference is that I’ve actually managed to get in to a jogging routine. The colder morning and evenings mean that it’s a lot easier to run this time of year. The plan is that when the hot weather comes I’ll be fit enough to keep it up and only have to adjust the heat.

It looks like I’ll be in Perth for the next month and a bit so I’ve signed up with a couple of hospitality temp agencies. I’m also going on a barista course to learn how to make a decent cup of coffee. I can’t stand the stuff but the Australians take it very seriously so this course should make me much more employable. I’ve also been assured that it won’t hurt me to have in New Zealand either do hopefully I’ll get my moneys worth over the next few years. Well two years at least. My New Zealand plan seems to have hit a small road bump in that I need a medical for the 23 month visa. At $640 it’s not worth it right now so I’ve applied for the 12 month visa instead. I have heard of other people getting extensions granted after they turn 31 but the people I spoke to were adamant it wouldn’t be allowed. I guess I shall have to wait and see. Right now I’m concentrating on staying in Australia and making enough money to see all the amazing places I missed last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment