Pages

Monday 29 December 2014

Arranging a Holiday from my Working Holiday

Since the money worries were looking more manageable and the flights had been sorted I had only to get two weeks off from my brand new job and I was sorted. I knew my request would be met with disbelief but once I explained myself to my manager and the owner both very understanding. If push had come to shove I would have given up the job to attend my friend’s wedding but it was a great relief to know that I would have a job waiting for me on my return (see previous post). In the intervening weeks I worked hard and impressed them enough with my work ethic that they became surer of me. At least I assume that’s why my hours steadily increased. In fact before long I was turning down work from the temp agency as the cafe kept me fully occupied. 

Life at the hotel fell into a settled routine. As mentioned in previous posts the six bed dorm was not ideal, especially with my early starts. There was the guy who ate in the room, which wouldn’t have been a problem if opening the widow didn’t let in all the smoke from the smokers area outside. There was the fact that others were out working late or partying late. Then there was the couple who insisted they weren't a couple but lay in bed naked together. Put it all together and finally I cracked. I liked the hotel but it was too much. I spoke to reception and fortunately I could change to a quieter six bed for the remainder of my stay before I left. They also promised that on my return I could move to a four bed all girls dorm! Life was looking up and I even managed to claim a bottom bunk in my new room the following day. It still wasn't ideal but the prospect of my fast approaching holiday kept me going, well that and arranging the hen night! You see on announcing that I would 100%, absolutely, bar acts of god be at her wedding I was immediately made a bridesmaid!!! I was incredibly excited about this in case it’s not obvious from the exclamation marks.....

This meant that when not at work I battled with the hotels less than wonderful internet to arrange a hen do in London, discuss dresses, hairstyles and of course shoes! It’s amazing what you can do with even the dodgiest of internet connections. We e-mailed ideas and photos back and forth. The bride and one of the other bridesmaids went dress and shoe shopping sending me picture texts of their successes and the same bridesmaid scouted out venues that we found online. We set up a facebook group and I only needed one international call to the London Gin Club to secure our evening booking, everything else was done online. Yet for the internet! Life was looking good again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment