Pages

Wednesday 3 November 2010

Thoughts from Washington

I’ve decided to try posting two distinct types of posts as I travel. There will be the ‘where I’ve been and what I’ve done’ ones then interspersed I’ll post on my thoughts and feelings as I go. Hopefully this will allow people to pick and choose how they follow me as well as providing a vague sense of order to my postings!

My flight to America was my first international flight on my own. I booked the tickets, I had to carry my own bags and if it all went wrong there was only going to be one person I could blame, and it wasn’t going to be Zack “the Highland Cow” Jones. I had company on the train in the form of a fellow traveller and we only parted way when she had to check in to her flight at the airport. It was great to have someone to share the excitement of being a ‘backpacker’ with, as if we had joined a secret society, but her excitement did make me realise how my own was tempered by the circumstances that led to my adventure. I managed my check in and security ok on my own and became quite adept at moving my bags about but on the flight I missed my usual travelling companion. At the airport I was concerned with acquiring transport and finding my hostel, another new experience for me. The hostel I am staying at is really nice. I have been fortunate enough to have a room to myself for my entire stay and it’s in a good location so very handy for playing tourist.

The major surprise to me was that I didn’t miss my man more. I’m not sure that all the sights I visited were really up his street and it was nice to only have to suit myself. It was also nice having people to sightsee with in the form of my fellow hostel guests but it was when I was spending time with them that I really missed my man. I would think that if it were him here not them then we would do this or that and I missed him a lot. On the whole though I got on with the business of being a tourist, I took photo’s that amused me and that would amuse other people and even the odd one or two just for him. I am assuming if there is an ‘after’ he has taken on the form of a ghost in the machine and will therefore be able to view my FB photos, if there is no after then what the hell, I’m sure someone somewhere will appreciate them!

Later today I will be seeing my cousin and his wife for the first time since I became well that thing then this new thing which I don’t know what it is accept from the new me, as opposed to the one of the many previous mes! Anyway that will be hard I think but it will also be the first time I get to meet their son which will make the experience all the more bittersweet but all the more awesome. Only one question really remains: I wonder if I can fill another FB album on this next leg or my tour?!

No comments:

Post a Comment