Pages

Wednesday 3 November 2010

Washington DC

Day 1

I managed to arrive in Washington DC the evening before the Daily Show’s “Rally to Restore Sanity”. It sounded interesting and most of the people I met had travelled from all over the US just to attend. I had every intention of going however jet lag and a lack of sleep meant my brain had other ideas. I woke up late but did make it in for the aftermath. The streets were busy but friendly and it felt good to be surrounded by tourists, I didn’t feel like I was sticking out as much as I feared I would and the signs people had brought with them were most amusing. In my first afternoon I saw the Capitol, passed many of the Smithsonian buildings and the botanic gardens. The evening was spent chatting with some fellow hostel guests and I arranged to meet up with two of them to go to Arlington National Cemetery the next day.

Day 2

I met some cool people at the hostel and so went exploring with them! Arlington Cemetery was a beautiful and peaceful place. We visited Kennedy’s tomb and the eternal flame and the tomb of the unknown soldier and saw all the graves of the brave service people who have given their lives for their country and principles. It was an genuinely awe inspiring sight. We then took a quick trip to the pentagon, a scary and forbidding place where photography was not allowed past the metro stop. We had a quick look then jumped back on the Metro and headed back the way we had come! After such a solem morning we decided to head back in to the city and spend the afternoon in an entirely different way. A quick stop at Potbelly’s for a hot sandwich then it was on to the Zoo. I’m not a big fan of zoo’s in general as I feel it’s wrong to lock up animals for our amusement and entertainment but in comparison to Barcelona Zoo the National Zoo in DC was a vast improvement. Most of the animals had at least some space to roam in and there were renovations going on to improve them whilst we were there. Also there was an obvious effort to education the visitors on the importance of protecting and restoring the animals natural habitats and many details of current conservation projects. After a day like that and what with me being in America it seems the end to my day was rather fitting, pizza and baseball finished my day off nicely.

Day 3

I could not visit Washington DC without taking a tour of the Capitol. We weren't allowed to linger at any point which was a shame because there are many interesting statutes and structures but I can understand that a great number of people wish to visit every day so it is unsurprising that they take the view of get them in, let them see then get them out. I was impressed to find out that you can actually view congress and the senate in progress, it’s not for me but I could think of one or two people back home who would love that opportunity.



After a brief American history lesson in the visitors centre it was on to Chinatown for lunch before heading to the Air and Space museum. Well it’s a good thing my companion was so fond of airplanes because we spent all afternoon there! I will never tire of seeing the images sent back from satellites of our solar system and beyond. They are amazing, awesome, fabulous and fantastic all at once. To finish our day myself and my fellow traveller headed back to more earthly matters and visited the Lincoln and Washington memorials and the White House. As the sun was setting we took the opportunity to see them both in daylight and in the evening light. They are spectacular memorials to two impressively distinguished gentlemen and the White House, well it was a bit far away but it too looked pretty impressive. After all that culture we headed back toward the hostel stopping in at a local bar for some fried chicken and Jack Daniels accompanied by some live music before finally heading back to the hostel to call it a night.
   
 


 

Day 4

My final day in Washington DC was a little bit hectic, Having strolled round the Capitol and the Air and Space Museum yesterday I found myself visiting not one, not two, not even three or four but five different buildings today. In brief my day went like this: Original Smithsonian Institution (known as the Smithsonian Castle), the National Museum of Natural History, the Hirsshorn Museum, the American Indian Museum and finally the east building of the National Gallery of Art (the modern bit). I could write a paragraph on each place they were all so fabulous but I shall restrain myself as much as possible. The Castle was just fabulous to see. The Natural History Museum was of lesser interest as I had visited our own in London not long before. Thought the themes were similar I felt the whole place was much more child friendly yet without being patronising and I found it most enjoyable. Being able to get close and touch certain exhibits is just as thrilling for this adult as any child! On my way from the Natural History Museum to the Native American Museum I stumbled upon the Hirsshorn Museum and I am so glad I did as it reminded me how much I love art, I always forget how awe inspiring certain pieces can be and how confusing or downright stupid others appear to me. I didn’t stay long as it was a small place and lunch was definitely next on my agenda but my visit there was well worth the unplanned detour.

At the recommendation of a friend I had lunch at the Native American Museum. Native American food was on the menu and the choice was staggering with each native region of the country being represented. In the end I had buffalo steak and lentils and it was very tasty. I then learned as much as I could take in about some of the native tribes as they were in the past and how they are surviving now and I found the experience inspiring as well as interesting. Finally with barely an hour left I manage to squeeze in a quick trip to the art gallery. There were many interesting exhibits and again I wish I had been able to spend more time there but what really made my day was the Edvard Munch exhibit. Familiar with “The Scream” I was surprised at how much his other work spoke to me. A nice bonus was seeing Monet’s Waterloo Bridge, Sunlight Effect (I think!) and some of Da Vinci’s work, especially his sketches which I have learnt I prefer to his paintings.

And there end my Washington adventure. Tomorrow I am up early and off to the train station then before I know it I shall be with my cousin and his family. Roll on tomorrow afternoon!


1 comment:

  1. Washington sounds very interesting and exciting! enjoy Virginia.xx

    ReplyDelete