Pages

Thursday 5 May 2011

Thoughts on Leaving Sydney

I realised the other day that since arriving in Sydney I have spent the most consecutive days in one place than I have anywhere else in the last two and a half years. It seems strange since I am travelling that this should be the case but it does explain why I have had such itchy feet in the last two weeks. I love Sydney and I have met some great people, some of whom I am genuinely sad to be leaving behind, but I am ready for the next chapter of my Aussie adventure.

I had become very comfortable in Sydney. As well as meeting some fabulous people I got to play tourist for a decent length of time before I found a fun and interesting job that lasted just long enough.  To leave and head to the unknown is therefore slightly intimidating but no more so than travelling half way round the globe with not a plan or scheme to my name. I am on my way to stay with a couple who breed alpacas and grow organic passion fruits amongst other things. I have never done anything like this before but then that seems to be the only requirement for me to become interested in a job these days! I have no idea what will be in store for me over the coming weeks but instead of being scared or apprehensive I am excited. I really believe that I can take whatever this next job may throw at me, well except from the spiders, I’ll leave them where ever I find them I think.

I find it weird that in the last six weeks I have become more confident doing nothing and working at a fair than I have been in the last two years. I know that part of this is due to time but it’s also due to leaving my comfort zone to take on a role I would not have even considered before or been considered for back home. I didn’t always fit in with the other fair workers but I knew I was doing a good job and I could usually find someone to chat to at break times. I want to go WWOOFing. I’ve wanted to try it since I first heard about it in San Francisco last November yet I considered putting it off because I thought I should work for money. Thankfully after only a day of searching for paid work I talked myself in to signing up and here I am heading up the north coast of Australia to a place I would never get to go as a tourist. I am a little apprehensive about how well I will be able to do the work and if they will like me or not and if I will like them but I think we’ll be ok and I know if we are not then it’s no harm no foul I’ll move on and they can take in another WWOOFer.

When I got to Sydney I didn’t know what I wanted to do or where I wanted to go and I still don’t. I now have a sort of plan that will take me to November but apart from my 3+ months up a mountain I can go where I want when I want. There was a tremendous freedom to be able to say “I’ll be there in two days”. Six weeks since I arrived in Sydney and here I am on a train leaving. I must say economy class seems more comfortable than economy back home, but then I guess these trains are used to going a lot further and soon I will be to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment