Pages

Thursday 9 August 2012

Still in Perth


Wow is it really August already?! Where does the time go when we’re not looking? Well I am still in Perth but starting to think about moving on. I’ve been working for The Restaurant for just over three weeks now and though the folks are nice enough and the work isn’t too bad I’m not really clicking with the place. I’m working six days a week and though the shifts aren’t long I don’t like to make plans or do too much beforehand. Also I am trying to save as much money as possible and though I am working six days the short shifts mean I’m not making as much as I’d like. It just doesn’t feel worth it. I spoke to my boss yesterday and she’s going to see about giving me two days off on the next roster but I think I’ll be calling it quits about then and heading north. It's safe to say my heart was never really in it so I guess this turn of events is unsurprising but I still feel uncomfortable about my lack of success there. 

I admit I have trepidations about leaving. Life is very safe here. I have a job and a roof over my head and it’s easy to save what I do earn. The people I am staying with are some of the loveliest I have met and take good care of me. Also I haven’t met up with many of my friends in Perth yet and I’d like to see them all before I go but as comfortable as it is here I feel the need to be on the move. I am concerned about getting work as I have so many places I want to see but I am hoping that something will turn up in one of the places I land which will make me want to stay a few months to earn some more cash. However that is still a few weeks away so for now I’m concentrating on enjoying Perth whilst I can.

Last night I did attempt to take the folks I’m staying with out to dinner but the deal I got turned out to be for a food court not a restaurant!  The food was alright and the guy who owns it turned out to be a real character but it was not what we had in mind when we left the house that evening. C'est la vie. Still we got fed and my intentions were good and it'l be another story to add to my multitude of random failed plans stories. I have two lunch ‘dates’ this week with some friends from the hostel I stayed in down south when I did my farm work on my last stay and I am rostered for an early finish on Saturday so I am hope to get in to the city with some friends and have a proper night out with the girls too.  The fact that I’m thinking of moving on combined with my improved bank balance means I can go out and have fun without worrying about the cost and simply enjoy seeing my friends. Of course the improved bank balance has other temptations........ I did consider going shopping this week as I saw a pretty dress the other day but when I realised the cost of the dress was equivalent to a weeks accommodation in a hostel it quickly lost its appeal! I’m not sure what that says about me, maybe that the whole experience over things attitude is no longer a necessity but has become ingrained as a way of life for me which I would be very happy with. 


Of course some things cannot be so easily dismissed, I am still part way in love with my DSLR camera. It has been out for one or two outings but it’s mostly been neglected as I've concentrated on other things like earning money, I know I'm so boring. I think in the next week or two I shall make it a priority to get out there as much as possible in between shifts so when I do get back on the move I’ll be more familiar with it. For now though I am off to the city to enjoy lunch with a lovely lady and maybe even squeeze in a quick visit to the art gallery. Best take Zack and the camera with me just in case I end up some where interesting on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment