Pages

Monday 1 June 2015

The Nice and Accurate Recordings of New Years Eve 2014

The previous year I had a delightful quiet and restful Christmas followed by a decidedly less so New Years. This year things got turned about. I woke up on New Years Eve feeling ill. I felt better as the day went on but it was a long and busy day at work so all I wanted to do when I got home was shower and get into my PJs. I told myself I could change back if I decided to go out but I knew that this was unlikely. I had stopped at the supermarket and made myself a proper meal, not out of a sense of obligation to mark the day but because I had left over potatoes from Christmas and thought steak would go well with them and from there it was a small leap to cauliflower cheese. It was a surprisingly good meal which ended with me feeling very full. A quick surf of the net led me to BBC iPlayer and radio 4’s adaptation of Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch and my night was set.

I took a break from the Good Omens to skype with my mum. A chat which started with an in depth review of mirrorless cameras which I am sure she found fascinating and ended up with me summarising the far more interesting plan of my holiday with my brother and his wife.

I got a little nostalgic as the clock rolled towards midnight and decided to update my FB profile photo to one of Josh on New Years eve from ten years ago when we had our first new years in our very own flat. Well I found that and more, a whole bunch of videos that weren’t just loud drunkenness in Plush. I was hooked. It made me happy to hear his voice, to know that I did remember it right. It made me happy to see how normal we were, that we were just as I remembered. I was sad because he should still be here but no sadder than before I saw those videos. I could waste time wishing I had discovered them sooner but considering how many times I’ve transferred data between various laptops and hard drives I am thankful to have them at all.


No sooner had I shared my find on FB than the fireworks went off announcing that I was officially in 2015. I wandered into my flatmates room to check them out. Though no longer blowing a gale the weather was still bad enough that I was glad to be in my warm flat wrapped up in my PJs and home knitted cardi. Like my Christmas the year before it wasn’t exciting but it was exactly what I needed. It was finally 2015 and the adventures were about to start all over again! Now back to The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch....

No comments:

Post a Comment