Pages

Sunday 10 March 2013

Trying to Keep Life Normal


Once again March had arrived but for the first time in four years it did not jump up and down to make its presence felt. Instead it was more like a gentle but insistent nudge. I knew it was March and I knew what that meant  but I wasn’t going to let it dictate how I lived my life this time.

Anyone who had suffered a major loss knows what a big statement that is. In the early days grief ruled all. Even after I had started to put my new life together years after Jonathan died grief came and went as it pleased but I was getting better at putting it off. Saying “Yes, I know you are here but not now, later” Then later would come and grief would be back in control for a short while.  

I didn’t do anything obviously momentous that week I just lived my life. I went to work, I napped a lot (it’s the humidity, honest!) I hung out with my friend and caught up on my blogging. I did get an infection in a blister on my foot and was amused to discover that sugar and cabbage really do draw out infections. That handy advice saved me a $50 doctor fee not to mention the prescription charge as well as providing great amusement when I told all and sundry that I had a foot wrapped in cabbage. It’s the little things that keep you going I guess.

On my day off I spent the day at my laptop going through all my photos for a competition to win a holiday in WA. Yes I know I’ve been there but I’d love to go back and explore it properly, especially at someone else’s expense. I did have the unusual experience of getting up before sunrise without the incentive of a dive. I was the moral support and camera holder for a friend who is entering a rather more complicated competition of her own. The 5:45am start should have been ok since I finished work at 9pm but instead of going to bed I spent time searching my photos for a red, white and green themed competition. I’m not sure I entered my best photos but it was good practice for the next attempt. Of course I don’t expect to win either but maybe if I start entering these things it will encourage me to work harder to improve my photography and well, you never know and it never hurts to try.


Of course in the spirit of keeping life as normal as possible I did venture out once. I still had my ice-cream voucher gifted to me by a friend on my birthday! It was a cooler day but still plenty warm for some chocolate and vanilla gelato from the best place in town; I even remembered to take Zack and my camera. I think it’s safe to say that at the end of the week it was Lyn 1 grief 0 and it felt good.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that was the score Lyn....
    It gives me hope for the future as well....
    Luv xx

    ReplyDelete